Sunday, June 23, 2013

Here I Dreamt I Was A Playwright

Caught Fugitive Kind's entry in the Hollywood Fringe this year. There's two more performances, if you're in the area. You can read my review here, but in short, highly recommended.

What the show really did, however, was rekindle my love of theater, especially Fringe theater. There's something intangibly earnest about the whole enterprise, especially when contrasted against the movie business. In an industry too cowardly to accept anything that might resemble financial risk, seeing innovative stagecraft so unanimously encouraged is a fresh shot of invigoration.

On a more visceral level, I miss the guerilla shoddiness Fringe instills in you. With all the time, budget and medium constraints, honest innovation and creativity are natural byproducts, rather than ideals one struggles toward. Because I wouldn't be myself otherwise, I've already devised a few potential ideas for another stage show that I'd love to mount, given half a chance.

Expect to hear more about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment