Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My Favorite Kind of Thug

What I'm Reading: The Scar by China Miéville. I devoured Perdido Street Station, Miéville's sprawling, if juvenile, entry to Bas-Lag – fantasy done right, in my opinion – but I find cracking this one open consistently difficult. It's obviously impressive, as I suspect anything set in this grabbag world must be and the setting, a pirate city, should obviously grab me more, but I think some of the heedless momentum of Perdido is lost here. That said, I have a difficult time imagining Miéville less than a three-of-five for me.

What I'm Listening To: Macklemore. Like everyone else.

What I'm Watching: Rome. This one's been a gradual watch with The Missus, but it's a series of really surprising quality. A nice mix of historical relevance and Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress motif, it portrays an unrelenting picture of ancient Roman life and politics, which somehow (more so in the first season than the second) manages to straddle the gritty realism I appreciate in my television without the immature dependency on sex/shit/violence as flavor that HBO's other period politico Game of Thrones falls prey too.

Plus Ray Stevenson plays my favorite kind of thug.

No comments:

Post a Comment