Friday, April 5, 2013

Past Due (Part 5)

Poor Iconine Iconine.

Add the fact that she was quite visibly Uzire, a member of one of the misunderstood and unmistakable human ethnicities amongst all of Patchwork's manifold minorities, and it should come as little wonder that unassuming little Iconine Iconine only gained traction with her supposed “betters” with great difficulty. Izcabode, as pureblooded a Romádri as he was a pompous popinjay, had yet to acknowledge the long-standing animosity their two cultures shared in any verbal way, but Iconine Iconine harbored no illusions that her turquoise makeup and complex hair-knots endemic to the Uzire endeared her to the supercillious Circulation Adept any.

Come back tomorrow for more!

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying this, but the prose is ornate enough (dare I say baroque enough?) that it gets in its own away a bit.

    I am very familiar with this issue because I struggled with it in Hellion Prince quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, if I have an unhealthy habit as a writer, it's totally over-writing.

    For this, though, I'm just sorta letting myself go; the point with these is more to have a daily word count than anything else, so I'm not really spending too much energy reigning myself in. I do have a few projects in the works with some specifically more terse styles, which I hope will work to improve my writing in that direction overall.

    That said, I do think the industry tends to undervalue diversity of language over simplicity of meaning. It's more or less a matter of taste, but I think the scale tends to swing towards clearer, less colorful prose and with a language as teemingly expressive as English, that seems like sorta a waste to me.

    Glad you're enjoying it, though, and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete